When it comes to dental crowns, porcelain ones truly do “crown” your teeth: They have a pearly luster and reign with both strength and beauty.
Beauty is an important benefit with a porcelain crown. Porcelain simulates the glass-like luster of a tooth making it nearly indistinguishable from your other teeth. But porcelain crowns are also durable and provide a long-term solution for damaged teeth.
If you have a tooth that is too decayed to be repaired with a filling, is missing enamel, or is permanently discolored, a porcelain crown will solve your problem with both beauty and brawn. Even better, cosmetic dentist, Dr. Christy Savas, can prepare and place porcelain crowns in a single visit using CEREC technology.
Dr. Christy Savas’s crowns are custom-crafted using lustrous porcelain color-matched to your existing teeth. Preparation, milling, and placement are performed in a single appointment. No temporary crown is needed.
Why Get a Crown?
Dental crowns provide a cap that completely encases and protects a tooth. A crown may be needed if a tooth:
- Is too decayed to be repaired with a filling.
- Has lost too much enamel.
- Has cracked or broken off as a result of an accident.
- Is deeply stained or discolored and does not respond to whitening treatments.
Porcelain Crown Benefits
- Translucency. Both tooth enamel and porcelain are semi-translucent, meaning they reflect some light and absorb some. As result, porcelain is able to mimic the pearly glow of natural teeth and be nearly indistinguishable from neighboring teeth.
- Durable. A porcelain crown can last from five to 25 years, depending on how you care for it. Porcelain crowns are nearly as strong as tooth enamel and can stand up to years of wear and tear. Naturally, commonsense dictates that you should not abuse crowns, such as biting down on hard, non-food objects, like fingernails. And, if you play sports, you should use a mouthguard.
- Color Matching. Porcelain crowns can be matched to your natural tooth color.
- Aesthetics. Unlike traditional metal crowns, the pearly luster of a tooth-colored porcelain crown restores your natural smile. Porcelain crowns will appear realistic in both natural and artificial light.
- No metal line. Some porcelain crowns have a metal lining. Unfortunately, as we age, our gums shrink. This can reveal the metal edge, which appears as a black streak near the gum line. This cannot happen with an all-porcelain crown, which has no metal.
- Low Maintenance. Porcelain crowns do not need special maintenance. A crown simply needs the same care as your teeth: Daily flossing and brushing to stop bacteria from seeping under the crown and decaying the tooth underneath.
- Stain Resistant. Porcelain resists stains so you can eat all the foods you enjoy.
- Comfortable. Because a porcelain crown can be molded to any size or shape, it fits naturally and comfortably with your other teeth.
- Functional. Though porcelain is admired for its beauty, it also restores function, allowing you to eat in comfort and chew your foods thoroughly.
Porcelain crowns offer the chance to fix teeth and restore a natural-looking smile. If you would like to learn if a porcelain crown is right for you, please call for personal consultation.Leave a reply →